Mosquitoes are a nuisance. Other than being a distraction, they can also interrupt and spoil the fun of a great evening spent outdoors. They also pose a health hazard in terms of the innumerable mosquito borne diseases that one can catch.
There are several plants, which can naturally repel mosquitoes and other pests. Their fragrance acts as a means to block the receptors of these insects, keeping them at bay. These plants will not protect you 100% from mosquitoes but can help to a great extent.
Here is a list of Plants, which you can grow around your balcony, terrace, deck or garden
1) Lemongrass: Citronella, is a plant oil found in lemongrass. Citronella is a proven mosquito repeller.
2) Any plant with a lemon scent will also help keep insects away, e.g Lemon, Thyme, Lemon balm, or even lemon scented geraniums.
3) Marigold: Marigold efficiently keeps mosquitoes away, and also protects the vegetable growing plants from various other bugs and pests.
4) Basil: While playing an important role in your kitchen, basil also works on keeping mosquitoes away.
5) Rosemary: Prevents all kinds of bugs and flies. Traditionally, roasting or grilling a few sprigs of rosemary, gives out a smoke, which helps in driving mosquitoes away.
6) Peppermint: Has a very strong fragrance, which repels mosquitoes and other pests like ants and even rats.