Baked cabbage in mushroom sauce
- 1 medium size Cabbage
- 2 tbsp. grated Cheese for garnish
- 2 cups of assorted Mushroom, sliced
- ½ cup Snow peas (or broccoli)
- 1 cup baby Spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped Garlic
- 1 tbsp. mixed Italian herbs
- ½ cup Water
- Salt to taste
Directions for Mushroom broth
- Heat the Olive oil in a cooking pot.
- Add garlic, and sauté for a few minutes..
- Add the mushroom and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Now add the snow peas, salt, mixed herbs, and half cup water, simmer on a low flame for 5-7 minutes until done.
- Keep aside.
- 2 tbsp. all purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 500 ml Milk
- 3 tbsp. grated Cheese
- 1 tsp. freshly crushed black Pepper
- Salt to taste
Directions for White sauce
- In a large cooking pan, melt the butter, add the flour, and cook on a low flame, constantly incorporating the flour into the butter. Slowly, fold in the milk, and continuously keep whisking it into the flour.
- This must be done on a low flame, and keep working on incorporating the milk and flour into a smooth paste.
- Add the cheese, salt and pepper, and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Once it is cooked, add the mushroom broth, the baby spinach, and simmer on a low flame for 2-3 minutes, making sure all the ingredients are smoothly blended together.
- Cut the cabbage in 4 quarters. (Keep the topknot of the cabbage intact in all 4 quarters; this will keep the cabbage leaves together).
- Steam the cabbage for 5-7 minutes, and keep aside.
- Place the cabbage in a deep dish serving plate, and generously pour the white sauce over the cabbage.
- Garnish with grated cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes at 180 degrees centigrade.
- Serve fresh with a lightly toasted bread of your choice.